The clocks have officially gone back and the nights are drawing in, which makes now the perfect time to get your hands on some wintry drinks and pimp your evenings with these simple to make alcohol-free cocktails.
The last month has been a really busy time for Square Root so, while I'm craving rich and complex flavours, I'm also down for making things that are quick and don't make too much mess. These three cocktails are part of my regular, go-to styles and don't require a cupboard full of fancy ingredients or a bars worth of equipment, so crack on and mix yourself up a delicious drink, or three - hangovers not included!
Pear & Aronia Sour
This drink was first made for me by the flavour powerhouse that is Lottie, our Manager at the Seven Dials Market bar, who oversaw the entire winter drinks menu. This is me taking absolutely no credit for this recipe, but I have simplified it slightly to remove some of the prep.
35ml good quality pear juice
15ml lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp water
1 tsp aquafaba (or chickpea water. Srsly - this is going to make a nice foamy drink & you can make yourself a hummus snack to go with it)
1 Pear & Aronia Soda bottle
- Prepare a rocks glass with some ice.
- Add the pear juice, lemon juice, sugar and water to a cocktail shaker (or if you don't have one, a 400ml (ish) jam jar works just fine) and give them all a good stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add some ice and the aquafaba, seal the shaker (or the jar) and get shaking. You want to do this vigorously for about 15 seconds to mix everything together.
- Strain your mixed drink into your rocks glass and top with the Pear & Aronia Soda.
- Add a slice of pear or lemon to garnish and drink away!
Ginger & Lemongrass Mojito
For me, this is the ideal meeting point between warm winter flavour and super refreshing cocktail and it couldn't be simpler to make!
1 Lemongrass stalk
1 Non-Alcoholic Mojito bottle
1 Ginger Beer bottle
- OK, so we're going to take the time to make some crushed ice because that's the way a mojito should be so, assuming you don't have an ice crusher at home, you're going to need a bag and a rolling pin. Put the ice in the bar, tie a knot in it (or seal it in some way) and get bashing. Voila - crushed ice you now have!
- In a tall glass (2/3 pint size is great) add a spoon of your crushed ice, then some mint leaves (give them a smack to release some aromatics), then some lime wedges. Repeat this layering until you've filled the glass.
- Pour in some Ginger Beer - you want to go for 1/3 of the glass.
- Now fill to the top with your Mojito mix.
- Cut the end off your lemongrass stalk and pop in the drink - now you've got a delicious straw to drink through that will infuse as you drink. Delicious, get drinking!
Bergamot & Everleaf Spritz
25ml Everleaf (a non-alcoholic aperatif)
1 Bergamot Soda (or Lemonade makes a really easy substitute) bottle
Bitters (I use orange bitters)
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Add the Everleaf and your soda.
- Garnish with the lime wedge and rosemary sprig and add a dash of bitters on top.
- Could this be any more simple? Enjoy!
And there you have it! Thinking about giving one of these a go? Ping a comment in the box below and let me know how it goes (or, if you want to make me feel really popular, tag me in a glorious Instagram post showing off your creations! I'm @absolutelyrobyn and of course there's always @squarerootldn).
Enjoyed trying your hand at these cocktails? Why not give our brand new Make Your Own AF Negroni Spritz at Home Kit a go?